Saturday, March 26, 2005

Is it chemicals or water...?

The fact that we haven't had extra time to "blog" should be an indication that life is full and we've settled into somewhat of a routine. That's positive because it means we're adjusting. But I often find that my frustration level is heightened not only because I lack the ability to fully communicate, but I also don't fully understand the culture...

Case in point: I was home with the kids when our doorbell rings. I answer the door and a young man in a long white lab coat with a name badge starts talking to me. I tried to understand what he was saying but he was talking too fast. I decided to tell him, "Sorry, I don't speak Romanian" (in Romanian). He promptly called his colleague who spoke a tiny bit of English. She said, "We spray for insect". She also looked quite important with her white jacket, and meanwhile a number of things are going through my mind. Now since we live in an apartment I thought that maybe this is a normal spraying that the apartment association (yeah, I guess they have one) requested. In fact she told me that "So and so from downstairs had requested them to come". That may have been so but what she didn't tell me was that it would cost me NOW! See, we have to pay an additional monthly fee on top of our rent just for the upkeep of the building. I concluded that the spraying was part of that fee. Nevertheless I hesitated letting her in to spray because I didn't know what chemicals they we using even though she insisted they were safe. Well she came in and started spraying for maybe 1 minute and then it dawned on me that nothing in Romania comes without a price, even a double price at times. I stopped her and tried to ask in my broken Romanian if all the apartments were being sprayed. When she told me it was only for those who wanted it I knew I had made a mistake. I said no, I didn't want it and thank you very much but she wanted me to pay her for spaying my entry and hallway! Not only that but she wanted about 500,000 Romanian Lei ($17)!! I said no, that she never told me what the prices were and that I hadn't understood her. She insisted that I had to pay for the chemicals. We went back and forth and she bumped the price down to about $10. I held my ground but my very inquisitive neighbor must have heard the commotion and came to my aid. She doesn't speak any English but I communicated to her my frustration and she took my defense. As I listened to them argue back and forth (Romanians are much like Italians in their use of waving arms and raising of voices) I wondered how long this could continue. Meanwhile I'm still holding Naomi, while Daniela and Lexi are standing behind me and our dog continues to display her displeasure from time to time. As is common in most countries where bartering is used, I decided to give her about $7 and that was it! She took it, turned around, and left. Nothing further from her. Then I began to worry about the chemicals. What had she used, was it really safe for kids?! About this time my neighbor returns pushing her way into our apartment as if the secret police were waiting outside. She proceeds to tell me that I should never let anyone into my apartment (isn't that the same lecture I usually give my kids?!), that those people should never have gotten into our building and that they were very expensive and..and..and..........She then wanted to know why the kids weren't in school (they have spring break this week) and suggested that we go for a walk. I suppose I should be happy to have neighbors who "care" (in other words they're watching me!). Someone else laughed when we told him this story. He said they probably just sprayed water!! That's Romania..... you never know who you can believe, but I'm not comfortable playing a cynic. I wish I could have laughed off the whole situation like I'm laughing now but again my frustration level met the language/culture limit. I called Catalin feeling oh so vulnerable and he reminded me that I should never let anyone in the apartment! OK now I really feel like a dumb kid and my relatively safe world is not feeling very safe.

One good thing though......my floors are really clean after wiping up all the "chemicals"!

On that note I'll say goodnight and wish you a happy and blessed Easter!

Shannon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter